Division of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources
DASNR News (View more)
- New year bringing uncertainty and potential volatility to the beef marketplace
STILLWATER, Okla. – Although analysts project cattle prices to be lower than 2016 for year-over-year averages, several factors are poised to have a significant effect on 2017 cattle and beef markets and may change current price expectations.
- Staying safe when cleaning up after snow and ice
STILLWATER, Okla. – Snow and ice are heavy. For proof, just look around at the downed trees and branches littered throughout the landscape after a storm.
- What is the Veterinary Feed Directive?
STILLWATER, Okla. – When the calendar turns in a few weeks, it will not only usher in a new year, but also tighter federal controls on the use of some antibiotics for food animals.
- Solid science backing up stricter Veterinary Feed Directive
STILLWATER, Okla. – When tougher guidelines around the Veterinary Feed Directive go into effect next month, it will change the way producers, veterinarians and feed distributors obtain, dispense and use medically important antibiotics in the treatment of food animals.
- Cow-calf producers should start obtaining colostrum now
STILLWATER, Okla. – Cow-calf operators should start locating, obtaining and storing several doses of colostrum or colostrum replacer sure to come in handy before the first heifers start to go into labor this spring.
- Time to begin early evening feeding of cows
STILLWATER, Okla. – Cow-calf producers who ensure adequate supervision at calving can have a significant effect on reducing calf mortality, always important but increasingly so with the higher price of live calves at sale time.
- Get your vehicle ready before winter storms
STILLWATER, Okla. – When the weather forecast starts with “baby, it’s cold outside,” Oklahomans need to get prepared for winter weather.